Thursday, 2 September 2010

Road to Wembley 2010/11 (Preliminary Round)

As promised, after watching Elmore vs Hamworthy at the beginning of the FA Cup for 2010/2011, I’ll attempt to follow the Cup through to the Final on 14th May 2011. The Preliminary Round was played this weekend (28-29th August) and Hamworthy’s reward for dispatching of Western 1st Division side Elmore was a game against Western Premier side Sherborne Town at home.

As both sides play at Level 9, this would have been a tough game to call and Sherborne had not been in the best form as their website (thank goodness for a decent non-league website!!) explained:

“Sherborne Town manager Mickey Spencer has targeted more competition for places in his bid to achieve a winning formula.

The Raleigh Grove club travel to Hamworthy United today in the FA Cup Preliminary Round looking to improve on a record that has seen one win from four matches.

That sole victory came against in the Extra-Preliminary round against Portishead Town, but was followed last Saturday with a disappointing 2-1 defeat at Welton Rovers.” (from


Sadly Hamworthy’s site isn’t as good as Sherborne’s so I’ll just have to go straight to the match report!

As so often is the case in the FA Cup, the form book was torn up as Sherborne Town, who had lost all 3 of their Western League games so far, took the lead around 15 minutes in when Marc Caines converted a Danny Thompson cross. However Sherborne’s task was made harder on 30 minutes when debutant Rico Wilson was dismissed and Hamworthy made the man advantage count forcing an own goal before half-time from a Max Crow cross. Sherborne though re-took the lead on 55 minutes when Caines got his 2nd and it looked like Sherborne would be going through until a last minute handball earned Hamworthy a penalty and when Max Crow dispatched it, a replay at Sherborne’s Raleigh Grove….


…. the Replay saw a bit of a no contest really as the Western League side brushed their Wessex League opponents away with a clinical 3-0 victory. Phil Ormrod opened the scoring on 20 minutes with a lobbed finish over the Hammers goalie. The 2nd half saw Sherborne cruise through after an Andy Martin penalty and a Danny Thomson goal saw them into a 3-0 lead. Hamworthy did have two goals disallowed, one for a foul and the other for offside but when a Hammers defender was sent off for a professional foul it was game over. Sherborne now go on to face Southern League Division 1 South & West side Wimborne Town away in the 1st Qualifying Round who play 1 level higher after they took care of Bideford AFC.

Ham.indd (match programme from Replay @ Sherborne)

ROAD TO WEMBLEY 2010/2011:

EXTRA PRELIMINARY ROUND: Elmore 1-5 Hamworthy Utd (Horsdon Park, Att: 247)

PRELIMINARY ROUND: Hamworthy Utd 2-2 Sherborne Town (County Ground, Att: 122)

PRELIMINARY ROUND Replay: Sherborne Town 3–0 Hamworthy Utd (Raleigh Grove, Att: 154)

No comments:

Post a Comment